“Baby, you’re like a student and I’m a math book. You solve all of my problems.” Unfortunately gentlemen, those cheesy and at times even nauseating pick up lines are usually associated with men rather than women, but I have never been a big a fan of gender roles so I’d like to help the ladies pick up some steam on approaching a man.
I’m about to disclose a vital piece of information that will come as no surprise, but should not be taken lightly: The beauty of men is they are pretty straightforward. Studies show that men like their pick up lines to be direct! So don’t waste your time with subtleties. No more beating around the bush. You might have to put a little more out there, but by being direct you can be sure that your message won’t be lost in translation. As we all know men are from Mars and women are from Venus, so for our purposes we are going to unravel the mystery of how to effectively approach those martians that we all love so much. Did I say martians? I meant men.
All it takes is one glance through the relationship section of any magazine to realize that relationships can be tough sometimes. It isn’t really a news flash that relationship roadblocks are inevitable, is it? So let’s step away from the magazine rack and stop memorizing the six simple steps for training your lover to be your dream lover.
Flip it around! Why is so much energy spent on focusing on the flaws of relationships and so little spent emphasizing their worth? Take some time to revel in the little things that make a relationship so rewarding! Zoosk’s prerogative is to introduce you to that one-and-only who will take you from “single and searching” to “happily in love,” because we believe in the value that a relationship has to offer.
Relationship experts all agree that an attitude of appreciation for a loved one can only make your bond grow stronger. It may seem like a strange phenomenon, but the more you take time to celebrate the positive in your relationship, you’ll find there are more and more positive things to actually celebrate. There really isn’t much in a relationship that we can control, but we can control our choice to focus on those moments that may seem ordinary, and by appreciating them they transform into extraordinary moments. We know that when two people celebrate even the smallest pleasures, there is a deeper connection and a greater love. Who doesn’t want more love?
So we went to our community members for inspiration and asked them to make a big deal out of nothing, so to speak. We asked them to call out the little things they love about relationships and, in doing so, they truly brought the ordinary moments to life as extraordinary ones.
Warning: If you’re self conscious about your softer side, you might want to clear the room. I’m just saying, it’s possible that the following quotes will bring tears to your eyes.
Take a look at just a few of the little things our Zooskers believe should not be taken for granted:
- “I love when a guy brushes the hair out of your face, lightly strokes his hand down your face and tells you that he loves you.”
- “When we’re lying down in bed and I’m holding her in my arms, I love it when she grabs onto my hand and snuggles in tighter. You get to feel her body heat against my body. Smell the fragrance from her hair, and feel completely comfortable before you finally doze off. Not even the dreams you have once you fall asleep compare to that lil’ happiness you have right beforehand.”
- “Those moments of unexpected hugs or a quick twirl around the room as my favorite song is playing on the stereo”
- “Having someone to sit outside and share a cup of cocoa or a cold beer with after the chores are done and the kids are asleep..”
- “Eskimo kisses, when you rub your noses together. I love the ‘look.’ The look that means everything like, ‘God, I’m so happy your mine, and that I’m here with you now in this world at this very moment’”
- “I love it when he comes into a room full of people and me and he eyes me and walks quickly but nonchalantly to me and gives me a ‘hello, I have missed you so and am so glad to see you’ kiss. I love when he takes my hand and leads me safely through a crowed place.”
- “Going through my day not noticing any other girl, even if they are flirtatious. All that is on my mind is the one waiting for me to be back in her arms.”
- “The comfort of having someone there simply because they want to be there with and for you.”
- “The way that he wraps his arms around your waist when he goes in for a kiss and holds you tight. It just makes me want to stay there forever.”
- “The way my lips still tingle after a soft kiss, knowing that it’ll happen again soon.”
- “Sitting by a warm and cozy bonfire, watching the sunset while having my boyfriend’s hand in mine.”
- “When she comes up behind me and kisses my neck, runs her hands down my chest, and hugs me tight, being able to smell her in the process.”
- “Sometimes when I’m asleep before she gets home and she gets into bed, her waking me up. Instantly she is in my arms like she wanted to be there all day. As silly as it sounds, when I come up behind her and give her a light spank. Seeing her jump, squeal, laugh and then give me a look like, ‘I’m gonna get you for that.’”
- “When I get a special unscheduled lunch visit from the other half.”
- “I miss holding a woman while falling asleep. It makes me that much more relax knowing I have someone next to me and I have a need to protect someone.”
- “Acting silly with somebody that doesn’t judge you for it.”
- “Standing in the kitchen with my back to the room, doing dishes, cooking, or whatever and having him sneak up behind me, wrap his arms around my waist, pulling me against him and kissing the back of my neck.”
- “The softly whispered words, I love you, and knowing he really, really means it.”
- “I love waking up in the middle of the night next to him and asking him to hold me. Then when he pulls me into his arms I snuggle back down and go to sleep listening to his breathing. I love the touch.”
Sigh. That was better than watching Julia Roberts tell Hugh Grant that “she is just a girl standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” You know what movie I’m talking about.
Bottom line: Life is short. So love hard. By all means, please make a big deal out of nothing.
Gone are the days when we would throw on our best apparel and drop hundreds of dollars each week on dinner, drinks, and entertainment as part of the standard operating procedure of the dating game. In times of economic trouble, everyone is talking about how online dating has become a cheaper and effective alternative to what was once the status quo.
This got us thinking. Singles are not willing to cut love out of their budgets. So, exactly how much do economic realities influence a person looking for Mr. or Miss Right? We took a poll fielding 1,009 responses from singles in the United States who use Zoosk.
We touched on some sensitive topics covering unemployment, living with parents, and going on dates that revolve around free activities, rather than being wined and dined. The response was an overwhelming consensus that economic hardships are not a deterrent when love is on the line!
So if you happen to be out work at the moment, you might not be out of luck. Our poll found American singles are still interested in dating even if the person is currently unemployed.
Still living at home with Mom and Pop? A substantial 80% of our responses assured us that living with the rents is not a “dating deal breaker.”
Finally, we wanted to know if our members would consider a date focused on a free activity a turn-off or turn-on. The result? Our members think that an excessive rendezvous that leaves you broke is not necessary to have a great time.
We are happy to report that in the face of economic trouble, Zooskers are not deterred from dating. According to our findings, it’s ok to indulge in a little love, recession style.
The Zoosk team is constantly working to add new features that enhance the site and your experience. This time, we’re bringing it home…
Zoosk is releasing a new home page experience, and we will be rolling it out to all Zooskers over the next several weeks.
Each release the Zoosk team rolls out is meant to improve your experience. The new home page is designed to bring you a concise and live stream of activities about other Zooskers as well as consolidated access to key Zoosk features so that you can more easily meet and connect with others.
From the home page you’ll be able to view new Zooskers who have just joined, see who has updated their profile with new information, and stay up-to-date with what other Zooskers have been up to since you’ve been gone.
The updates in your live feed introduce you to other Zooskers who fit the criteria you’ve asked for and are based on trends we see in your searches and daily matches. The updates are great conversation starters, and are an effective way to quickly introduce you to someone new who you might not have found through a search. We are refreshing the feed all the time, so feel free to come back throughout the day to see what’s going on.
Easy Access to Zoosk Features
On the home page you have access to all of the site’s features you need to meet new people:
- Search: Enter the characteristics of your perfect match, and immediately browse through profiles tailored to the criteria you are looking for.
- Emails: You’ll see clearly how many unread emails are waiting for you.
- Favorites: Find out who has added you to their list of favorites. Is it mutual?
- Date Card Views: Curious to know who is checking you out? Click on this link to find out.
- What’s next? Find out what you can do to improve your date card and other opportunities that are available to you in Zoosk.
Remember the Daily Matches page? No worries! It’s not gone, it’s just more comfortable at home. You can get to the same Daily Matches page by clicking on “full view” next to Feeling Lucky. Just like before, you can browse through profiles that match what you are looking for. See someone you like? Choose to view their profile, wink, send an email, or skip to the next person.
The Zoosk team takes pride in providing a simple and easy-to-use platform for our members. With all that Zoosk has to offer, we want to be sure that the site stays that way as we continue to expand its features.
What do you think about the new home page? No amount of testing we do can substitute for your feedback. If you have something to share, we want to hear it! Visit the Zoosk community and tell us what you think about the home page.
In addition to offering the entire Zoosk community free premium membership on February 13 and 14, Zoosk opened its doors to over 200 people from the Bay Area’s tech community and the Zoosk community as well for Zoosk Lunch 2.0.
Friday the 13th may be unlucky for some, but the winks and flirts that we saw at Zoosk’s Lunch 2.0 on Friday put this superstition to rest faster than the speed of cupid’s arrow. (Cupid was also kind enough to make an appearance)
Described by many who attended as a “new kind of Lunch 2.0″, we perpetuated the Valentine’s Day theme by bringing the virtual trademark of Zoosk, the Date Card, to life as an actual Date Card that attendees could wear. Exchanging stickers to decorate the date card that were marked as flirts and winks, as well as reading the creative ways people chose to describe themselves, was an immediate ice breaker.
The goal was to be able to turn in your date card for a box of See’s Valentine’s chocolate by collecting at least 6 flirt or wink stickers. We found that by the end of the lunch it wasn’t even necessary to have chocolate as an incentive. In fact, thoughts of bon bons had been wiped from our memory as the crowd started dancing with the DJ! Networking, flirting, food, beer, and dancing…truly not bad ways to spend a lunch break!
This year The New York Times recently noted a National Retail Federation Survey that predicted that average consumer spending on Valentine’s Day would be lower than the two previous years. Zoosk knows that online resources provide cheaper alternatives that don’t cheapen the romance. Even the free-access social networking site, Facebook, is calling out its activity in matchmaking, highlighting Zoosk as an effective way to find a date for V-day!
Aaah Valentine’s Day with Zoosk, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways…
We’re blushing…and ready to celebrate!!
Thanks to all of the much appreciated support from the Zoosk community, Zoosk has won the People’s Choice Award in the Dating and Romance category of the Open Web Awards 2009!
Mashable hosted the second annual Open Web Awards. It’s known as a “multilingual, international online voting competition that covers major innovations in web technology. Through an online nominating and voting process, the Open Web Awards recognizes and honors the top achievements of websites and services in 26 categories.”
Being elected as the people’s choice is an achievement that speaks to the hard work we continue to invest into making the Zoosk website and service a leading experience. It feels good going from contender to winner, and we thank each Zoosker for such an honor. This recognition is just fuel for the fire as the Zoosk team is driven to provide nothing short of excellence for each Zoosker!
And you thought the elections were over. Zoosk has made it into the first round of the Open Web Awards 2008! We’ve been nominated, and thus begins the campaign.
Your votes count! This is your community, so what better resource could there be to help us win in the dating and romance category?
(Sorry, only one vote per day. Yeah, we’re bummed too. So when you’re taking your daily vitamins think of Zoosk!)
Zoosk est très heureux de vous annoncer que nous avons été nominés aux Open Web Awards 2008 dans la catégorie “Dating and Romance,” ou bien les rencontres et l’amour.
Nous vous encourageons à nous voter! Vous pouvez voter une fois par jour. Donc pensez à nous quand vous prennez votre vitamines quotidienne!
You’ve probably noticed a few changes on Zoosk lately. We are happy to unveil the launch of our site’s redesign! It’s been many months in the making, and we take a lot of pleasure from knowing that we are providing a more enjoyable platform for you, the Zooskers we value so highly. We are proud to introduce several improvements we’ve included in the redesign.
The new Zoosk offers each member several improvements including a cleaner, more intuitive, and aesthetically appealing experience. We’ve made flirting easier and more accessible, and revamped the photos!
Flirting was fun before, but flirting with vibrant colors, responsive animation, and crystalline design is like flirting while sipping champagne and eating strawberries dipped in warm chocolate! Ok, I might be getting carried away, but it undoubtedly adds a special element to the experience.
It’s now easier to flirt as well! We’ve made it possible for you to flirt directly from the advanced search results and date cards. This provides a simple and more fluid experience.
We also recognized the importance of each photo that is carefully selected by each Zoosker. Photos are a critical part of showing a little about you. We say the more the better! So we’ve made them bigger, clearer, and a better reflection of who you are.
These are just a few of the improvements we’ve introduced over the past few days, and more are on the way! We appreciate your feedback and continue to take it into consideration as we grow.
Enjoy the new design and happy Zoosking!
On a de bonnes nouvelles! Avez-vous remarqué qu’il y a des changements chez Zoosk? Nous avons sorti des petites nouveautés que certains d’entre vous apprécient déjà: plus de couleurs vibrantes, vos photos sont plus grandes et plus claire, et un design plus intuitif et fluide. Avec ce design depuis le moteur de recherche et du profils vous pourrez flirter directement. Nous savons que la première impression d’un(e) Zooskeur(se) est la plus importante. C’est pour cela que nous avon amélioré la qualité de vos photos. Allez! Mettez à jour vos photos! N’oubliez pas que vous pouvez aussi changer la langue d’Anglais à Francais en cliquant “English.”
En sum, on vous offre un design plus performant et artistique. De plus, ce n’est pas tout! On continue à augmenter la convivialité de Zoosk. Cela a été un travail fastidieux, mais on prend beaucoup de plaisir à rendre l’experience de nos clients plus agréable. Comme d’habitude, toutes vos suggestions et vos attentes sont les bienvenues! Happy Zoosking!